It can be overwhelming to bring Amazon’s Alexa voice control into your home. What do you say to her? The list of commands is extensive and expanding rapidly. We’ll try to keep this list updated as commands are added. Here is the (almost) complete list of Amazon Alexa commands.
Recently, Amazon added a feature called Follow-Up Mode that makes it more convenient to issue multiple commands without having to repeat the wake work. When you enable the feature, Alexa will continue to listen for another command after it’s completed your first request. You can keep issuing more commands until you’re done or until you say “stop.”
You can also string two related commands into you like, “Alexa, play the Beatles on Amazon at volume six,” or “Alexa, add hamburger, hot dogs, and buns to my shopping list.”
- Ask for help: Alexa, help.
- Have a conversation: Alexa, let’s chat.
- Mute or unmute: Alexa, mute or Alexa, unmute
- Stop or pause: Alexa, stop or Alexa, shut up
- Change volume: Alexa, set volume to 5 or Alexa, louder or Alexa, turn up/down the volume
Note: Volume is a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being loudest
- Play music: Alexa, play some music
- Play music on other (or multiple) Alexa devices: Alexa, play [artist] in the living room or Alexa, play [artist] everywhere
- Queue specific song or artist: Alexa, play music by [artist]
- Play a song based on context: Alexa, play the latest Matt Maher albumor Alexa, play that song that goes ‘Your love defends me, your love defends me’
- Play music based on a theme: Alexa, play chill music or Alexa, play music for workouts
- Play the song of the day: Alexa, play the song of the day
- Play Spotify music: Alexa, play [name of playlist] on Spotify
- Play Pandora station: Alexa, play [artist] station on Pandora
- Play a radio station: Alexa, play [radio station] on TuneIn
- Play an audiobook: Alexa, play [title] on Audible or Alexa, read [title] or Alexa, play the book, [title]
- Resume the last played audiobook: Alexa, resume my book
- Skip audiobook chapters: Alexa, next chapter or Alexa, previous chapter
- Listen to Alexa read you a Kindle book: Alexa, read me my Kindle book
- Set a sleep timer: Alexa, set a sleep timer for 45 minutesor Alexa, stop playing in 45 minutes
- Song information: Alexa, what’s playing?
- Music controls: Alexa, playor Alexa, next
- Control music playback on another Alexa speaker: Alexa, stop in the kitchenor Alexa, next in the office
- Restart song: Alexa, restart
- Add a song to your Prime Music library: Alexa, add this song
- Create a playlist in Amazon Music: Alexa, create a new playlistor Alexa, create a ‘Friday Chill’ playlist
- Add a song to a playlist in Amazon Music: Alexa, add this song to my playlist or Alexa, add this to my [name of playlist] playlist
- Like or dislike a song on Pandora and iHeartRadio: Alexa, I like this songor Alexa, thumbs down
- Start Amazon Music Unlimited trial: Alexa, start my free trial of Amazon Music Unlimited
- Start your morning off right with music from Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn, iHeartRadio or Vevo: Alexa, wake me up every day at 6 am to music
Time and Date
- Set an alarm: Alexa, set an alarm for 7 amor Alexa, wake me up at 7 in the morning
- music alarm: Alexa, wake me up to [artist, song, genre, playlist or album] at 6 amor Alexa, set an alarm to Band of Horses or Alexa, wake my up to Kiss FM on TuneIn
- Set a repeating alarm: Alexa, set a repeating alarm for weekdays at 7 am
- Set a timer: Alexa, timeror Alexa, set a timer for 15 minutes
- Create a named timer: Alexa, set a pizza timer for 20 minutes
- Set multiple timers: Alexa, set a second timer for 5 minutes
- Check timer status: Alexa, how much time is left on the pizza timer? orAlexa, cancel the 15-minute timer
- Ask the time: Alexa, what time is it?
- Ask the date: Alexa, what’s the date?
- Ask when the next alarm is: Alexa, when’s why next alarm?
- Cancel an alarm: Alexa, cancel my alarm for 2 pm
- Snooze alarm: Alexa, snooze
- Check dates: Alexa, when is [holiday] this year?
Calls and Messaging
One cool feature of the Echo is the ability to call and message between users and to use your devices as in-home intercoms using the Drop In feature. To learn how to set these up, please visit our blog posts linked in the previous sentence.
You can also make Announcements and send text messages with your voice.
- Call another Echo user: Alexa, call [name]
- Answer an incoming call: Alexa, answer the call or Alexa, answer
- Hang up: Alexa, hang upor Alexa, end the call
- Message another Echo user: Alexa, message [name]or Alexa, send [name] a message
- Play messages: Alexa, play messages
- Send an SMS: Alexa, send an SMS to [contact name]or Alexa, send an SMS
- Use Drop In on one of your own devices: Alexa, drop in on the living room
- Drop In on another user (requires the other user to allow you to Drop In anytime): Alexa, drop in one [name]
- Turn off the video during an ongoing call (only works with Echo Show): Alexa, turn video off
- Make an announcement: Alexa, announce it’s dinner timeor Alexa, broadcast it’s time to go or Alexa, tell everyone good nigh
- Number check: Alexa, open phone number check… tell me about 616-555-5555or please provide information about 616-555-5555
To-do and Shopping Lists
- Add task to to-do list: Alexa, add ‘go to grocery store’ to my to-do listor Alexa, I need to make an appointment with the doctor
- Create a new to-do item: Alexa, create a to-do
- Check calendar events: Alexa, what’s on my calendar for tomorrow?
- Add an event to a calendar: Alexa, add [event] to my calendar for [day] at No time format has been specifiedor Alexa, add an event to my calendar
- Move a calendar event: Alexa, move my meeting from 12:00 to 3:00
- Create a shopping list: Alexa, add eggs to my shopping listor Alexa, I need to buy laundry detergent
- Check your shopping list: Alexa, what’s on my shopping list?
- Create a reminder: Alexa, reminderor Alexa, remind me to check the oven in 5 minutes
- Check on existing reminders: Alexa, what are my reminders this weekend?or Alexa, what reminders do I have tomorrow?
- Donate money to your favorite charity by saying: Alexa, make a donation to American Cancer Institute or any number of approved charities
- Check your American Express balance: Alexa, open Amex
News and Weather
- Ask for your Flash Briefing: Alexa, what’s my Flash Briefing?
- Add music news to your Flash Briefing: Alexa, enable Today in Music
- Check headlines: Alexa, what’s in the news?
- Check weather: Alexa, what’s the weather like?or Alexa, will it rain today? You can also ask Alexa, will I need an umbrella today?
- Get a weather forecast: Alexa, what’s the weather going to be like this weekend?
- Get traffic information: Alexa, what’s my commute look like?or Alexa, what’s traffic like?
- Find movies in nearby theaters: Alexa, what movies are playing?or Alexa, what action movies are playing tonight?
- Get information on movies playing: Alexa, tell me about the movie [title]
- Get movie quotes: Give me a [movie] quote
- Get IMDb rating: Alexa, what is the IMDb rating for [movie or TV show]?
- Get casting for a movie or show: Alexa, who plays in [movie or TV show]?
- Find an actor’s latest work: Alexa, what is [actor]’s latest movie?
- Find out who sings a particular song: Alexa, who sings the song [title]?
- Get the names of band members: Alexa, who is in the band [name]?
- Get album information: Alexa, what year did [band] release [song or album]?
- Find popular music from an artist: Alexa, what’s popular from [artist]?
- Sample music from an artist: Alexa, what’s popular from [artist]?
- Find a particular album or song: Alexa, find [song or album] by [artist]
Food and Businesses
- Get a recipe: Alexa, how do you make Keto chocolate chip bars?
- Discover nearby restaurants: Alexa, find me a nearby pizza restaurant or Alexa, what’s the nearest coffee shop?
- Get operating hours or a phone number for local businesses: Alexa, find the address for Huntington Bank or Alexa, find business hours for Target
- Saying Alexa, open Wine Finderlets Alexa help you match the best wine with your meal. If you Tell Alexa you are eating shrimp, it will tell you the best wine to go with it.
- Convert units: Alexa, how many [units] are in [units]?
- Convert units: Alexa, how many [units] are in two [units]?
- Basic math: Alexa what’s 5 plus 7? orAlexa, what’s 56 times 33?
- Advanced math: Alexa, 70 factorial
Settle a Score
- Roll a die: Alexa, roll a dieor Alexa, roll a 26-sided die
- Flip a coin: Alexa, flip a coin
- Pick a number: Alexa, pick a number between 1 and 50
Definitions and Spelling
- Let the definition of a word: Alexa, what’s the definition of [word]
- Get the spelling of a word: Alexa, how do you spell [word]
- Check the results of a finished game: Alexa, what was the score of the [team] game?
- Ask if a team won: Alexa, did the [team] win?
- Ask when the next game is scheduled: Alexa, when do the [team] plan next?
- Find out the results of your favorite teams: Alexa, give me my Sports Update
- Get Fantasy Football update with the Yahoo Fantasy Football Skill: Alexa, ask Yahoo Fantasy Football for a score updateor Alexa, ask Yahoo Fantasy Football if Colin Kaepernick is playing this week
- Get league standings: Alexa, what are the MLB standings?
- Send current listening to a Fire tablet: Alexa, send that to my Fire tablet
- Send to a different profile’s Fire tablet: Alexa, show this on [name]’s Fire tablet